European Alternatives is looking for a. research assistant for – as a priority – a European research project on alternative pedagogies for civic education and awareness-raising for democratic engagement. You will be included in an interdisciplinary and international research team (researchers from civil society).
The position is full-time or 4 days/week, for a renewable period of 12 months.
Research tasks include
- Animation and organization of civic education workshops, following a “participatory action research” method predefined by the project partners.
- Animation and organization of Focus Groups with young people, teachers, public decision-makers and technology specialists
- Planning and conducting interviews which will be recorded and transcribed
- Writing analysis reports
- Potential writing of academic articles
- Secretarial monitoring of the project and maintenance of coordination and cooperation with partners
- Dissemination in the formal and informal educational community of the tools developed within the project.
- Contribution to analytical reports and academic reports on these topics, in English
- If applicable: contribution to international meetings online or possibly in person.
- Other research assistance tasks for various research projects carried out by the association, notably FIERCE.
Doctoral student or postdoc.
Based in Ile de France
With professional proficiency in English (spoken and written) and French
From educational sciences or political sciences, or related subjects
Independent, autonomous but with a good habit of shared working methods
Skills in training and leading working groups and individual educational monitoring (mentoring) are appreciated.
Knowledge of gender-related themes and feminist movements would be an asset
Pleasure and desire to travel and work in interaction with others
Flexibility and adaptability
The tasks are estimated at a minimum of 4 days per week, the expected remuneration will be between 1700 and 2100 euros gross depending on the actual working time (4 or 5 days) and experience.
You will work under the supervision of the directors of the association.
Workplace: Paris 17. The premises are shared offices. Part of the work can be done remotely. Frequent trips to France and other European countries are planned.
Application: Send CV + Cover letter detailing experiences and research themes. Send by email with the subject “Research Assistant” to email@example.com
Diversity: Alternatives is an equal opportunity employer and particularly encourages applications from candidates with diverse backgrounds, education and professional experience. We recognize that people from underrepresented backgrounds are not sufficiently included in the NGO sector and we are strongly committed to doing what we can to correct this. If you think that such opportunities are less available to you, do not hesitate to apply.
Applications will be studied as they are received. Ideally, receipt of the application no later than February 22, 2023.
Interviews will be conducted by zoom or in person at Paris 17.
Presentation of the association
The European Alternatives association promotes democracy, equality and culture beyond the nation-state. It proposes to imagine, demand and implement alternatives for a viable future for Europe.
Its action is based on four points:
Articulate a radical, long-term vision of a democratic, just and culturally open politics, society and culture beyond the nation-state, for Europe and for the world.
Experiment with forms of action that contribute to transforming political institutions, society, the economy and the imagination.
Strengthen the capacities, mutual awareness and connections of members, activists and organizations who work in accordance with our values.
Promote and defend human, fundamental, civic, democratic and social rights across borders.
Missions and values
European Alternatives promotes democracy, equality and culture beyond the nation-state and encourages implementing alternatives for the future of Europe. The association acts transnationally through creative and experimental activities. You will join a dynamic team, coming from diverse backgrounds and working mainly in English.
European Alternatives works to promote democracy, equality and culture beyond the nation state and to imagine