Learn from citizens-led coalitions and new municipalism to demonstrate the power of active citizenship in building more equal and democratic communities; What are successful citizens initiatives able to reclaim democratic power over their lives? How do we support these initiatives to get their messages across and come to power? How do we ensure the transition is a success and reflects the change wanted by the people?
The beginning of 2015 has been for us a year of reinforcing networks with (capital) cities around Europe: we believe that experiences like the impressive achievement of many cities in Spain, bringing activists to the city government, are examples of the real potential to extend these realities to other cities in Europe. Bringing all this experiences together, discussing with grassroots movements and promoting collaborations between ongoing alternative governments, are the way the next step to spread the spirit of the “rebel cities”.
EVENTS RELATED TO CITY NETWORKS
- Open event in Rome with Yanis Varoufakis and Luigi de Magistris – 23 June 2016
- Ada Colau and Luigi de Magistris together in Marghera: Città ribelli per Cambiare l’Europa – 14 July 2016
- “De Magistris e Colau a Marghera raccontano le loro «Città ribelli»”Articolo sulle città ribelli – Corriere della Sera
- Movimenti in Comune, event with representatives from Barcelona, A Coruna, Bologna, Naples, and more, together with Cambiamo Messina dal Basso – Messina 23 July 2016
- Open event about the relationship between cities and culture organised by Lunatico Festival – Trieste (Italy) – 30 luglio 2016
CITIES INVOLVED SO FAR
For questions regarding the Cities stream, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org